Friday, May 24, 2013
Sweet Texas Chili
Just like the Ole South, this is some cookin' Texas chili. Specifically, this Texas-style chili is "protected" by a cornbread crust!
At a glance
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 (16 oz.) can pinto beans, drained
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans Mexican seasoned tomatoes
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup taco seasoned Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Brown ground beef in 10-inch cast iron or oven-ready skillet. Drain. Add beans and tomatoes. Simmer over medium heat.
- In bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour over mixture in skillet.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Ready in 40 min