Sunday, May 19, 2013
Pasta with Cabbage, Pancetta & Mozzarella
We've got a recipe that will leave you bacon for more. Pancetta takes the lead when flavoring this pasta project. The bacon-like meat offers a strong, smoked flavor that blends perfectly with cabbage and mozzarella.
At a glance
- 10 strips pancetta, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 good handful thyme, leaves picked from the stem
- 1/2 large Savoy cabbage (outer leaves removed), quartered, cored, and finely sliced Handful grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb. dried conchiglie
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 oz. fresh buffalo mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 handfuls pine nuts, lightly toasted
- In a pan fry add pancetta and some olive oil; cook until lightly golden. Add garlic and thyme and cook until softened. Add the cabbage and Parmesan, then stir and put the lid on the pan. Cook for a further 15 minutes, shaking every now and again, while you cook conchiglie in salted boiling water until al dente. When the cabbage is nice and tender season with some nice peppery extra-virgin olive oil. Toss the drained conchiglie into the cabbage and at the last minute mix in mozzarella and pine nuts. Serve immediately.
Ready in 30 min