Monday, May 20, 2013
Who says a food can't be versatile? This is a quiche for all seasons. Prepare it with the vegetables of your choice.
At a glance
2 - 9 inch quiches
- 2 (9 inch) pie crusts, baked
- 10 slices bacon
- 8 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 small head fresh broccoli, diced
- 4 green onions
- 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees; place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Evenly distribute bacon across bottom of each pastry shell, followed by half of cheese. Add broccoli, scallions, and tomatoes, and then cover with remaining cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, nutmeg, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Pour half of mixture into each pastry shell.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, and then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 45 minutes, until quiches are set in center.
Ready in 1 hour 15 min