Friday, May 24, 2013
Chili Bean Soup
No matter what color these beans are, the glorious taste won't change. This chili is seasoned with thyme and marjoram and features chicken broth, stewed tomatoes and chili seasoning mix.
At a glance
- 1 lb. pink, red, or pinto beans
- 6-8 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. onion salt
- 1/4 tsp. each thyme and marjoram
- 1 (10 1/2 oz.) can of chicken broth
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- 1 (1 5/8 oz.) pkg. chili seasoning mix
- Rinse, sort, and soak beans. Drain and empty them into a large pot. Add boiling water, garlic, and onion salt, thyme, and marjoram. Cover and simmer until beans are tender (2 1/2 to 3 hours). Don't let beans boil dry.
- Add hot water as needed and spoon out 3 cups of the cooked beans to use another day in another way; mash rest of beans with their liquid. Add remaining ingredients plus 1-cup hot water. Heat at least 10 minutes to blend flavors.