Curiosity Killed the Kid?
Touching, tasting, smelling - they're all ways in which small children learn about their environments. But it can also get them into trouble. Inevitably during the course of growing up, kids will make the mistake of swallowing, inhaling or sticking into pretty much any orifice some sort of item in the name of curiosity. There are few parents who haven't rushed their child to the emergency room to have a coin or other item removed from his throat or belly, or to retrieve a bean, bead or whatever else tickles his fancy from a nostril. These problems usually only leave you with a funny story, but sometimes they can be life-threatening. Between the ages of 6 months - when they first become mobile - and 3 years, kids are most at risk for swallowing items they find lying around, such as coins, which are the most common item, or foods such as nuts, hot dogs, grapes and popcorn. If you see the child swallow something or notice coughing, gagging, or trouble swallowing or breathing, then seek medical attention. If the child coughs, let him try to get the item out on his own, and if that doesn't work, then administer the Heimlich maneuver.