Friday, January 30, 2015
Salad In Pita Bread
We pita the fool that doesn't enjoy this tomato, mozzarella and basil sandwich. A simple fix, it's the perfect solution to the brown bag blues. Whatta lunch!
At a glance
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 large tomato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese in 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 oz.)
- Two 7-inch pita bread rounds, each cut to form 2 half-rounds
- 4 leaves red-leaf lettuce
- To make the marinade, whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl. To make the filling, combine the tomato and cheese cubes in a shallow dish. Drizzle with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Split the pita halves open and line each with a lettuce leaf. Use a slotted spoon to strain the tomato and mozzarella mixture as you add it to the pita halves.
- Advance Preparation: The tomato and cheese will keep in the marinade for up to 2 days in a covered container in the refrigerator. Assemble the sandwiches just before serving.
Ready in 15 min