Monday, May 20, 2013
Potato Pie with An Onion Twist
Want a meal with a great twist? This is it. Here is a classic recipe made more tasteful by the sautéed onion.
At a glance
- 8 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 6 tbsp. butter, divided
- 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- Gently squeeze potatoes to remove excess water. Melt 5 tbsp. butter; add to potatoes along with 1/2 tsp. salt. Press in bottom and up sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate to form a crust; bake at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until edges are browned. Cool to room temperature.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onion and red pepper in remaining butter until tender, about 6-8 minutes. Spoon into crust; sprinkle with cheese. Combine the eggs, milk and remaining salt; pour over onion mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Ready in 1 hour 5 min