Saturday, May 18, 2013
Guacamole & Franks
Sure guacamole and franks make for strange bedfellows, but that doesn't mean they can't make beautiful music together. Let's be frank -- you're gonna live this dish.
At a glance
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 8 hot dog buns, wrapped in foil and warmed in oven (350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes)
- 8 bun-length hot dogs
- Hot sauce
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, seeded, diced
- 1 small white onion, chopped finely
- 2 large ripe Hass avocados, peeled, pitted, cut in small chunks and mashed
- Juice of two fresh limes
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium to high heat; place sliced onions in pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are wilted and begin to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Cook hot dogs per preferred method: grill until lightly charred and heated through; steam; or cook in saucepan with water (bring hot dogs in water to a boil; remove from heat and let sit, covered, until ready to serve).
- On each of 8 warmed hot dog buns, spread about 1 tsp. each, in following order: mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, hot sauce. Place hot dog on dressed bun and top with some grilled onions. Top with some chopped tomato, raw onion, and mashed chunks of avocado. Sprinkle with a little limejuice and salt, and serve immediately.