Saturday, May 18, 2013
Fancy Chocolate Marshmallow Bars
The title says it all. Pure deliciousness. Here you have layers of cookie bars topped with crisp rice cereal, peanut butter, and marshmallows. What's not to like?
At a glance
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cream 3/4-cup butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa; add to creamed mixture. Stir in nuts if desired. Spread in a greased jellyroll pan. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over cake; return to oven for 2-3 minutes. Using a knife dipped in water spread the melted marshmallows evenly over cake. Cool.
- For topping, combine chocolate chips, 3 tbsp. butter and peanut butter in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and well blended. Remove from heat; stir in cereal. Spread over bars. Chill.