Monday, March 10, 2014
Eggplant & Cheese
Most people don't realize that there are countless ways to utilize eggplant. This eggplant and cheese sandwich is just one of them. No matter how you slice it -- it's downright delicious.
At a glance
- 16 eggplant slices; (1/2-inch-thick)
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 4 pita bread rounds; (6-inch) cut in half
- 8 tomato slices; (1/2-inch-thick)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese with peppercorn
- (1 oz.) 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 12 large fresh basil leaves; thinly sliced
- Arrange eggplant in a single layer in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover; bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Turn eggplant over; cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. Let cool slightly. Fill each pita half with 2 eggplant slices, 1 tomato slice, 1/2 tbsp. of cheese, 1/2 tbsp. onion, and basil leaves.