Easy Seafood Gumbo
If you've thought about making your own gumbo but never got around to it, this is a great version to try. You won't need to go to New Orleans for authentic seafood gumbo anymore... you can prepare it in your own kitchen! Let the good times roll.
1/2 cup flour
1. Combine flour and butter for roux. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until flour turns coffee-colored, about 30-40 minutes. If you see little black specks in roux, it is burned and you need to start over.
2. Sauté onions, celery and kielbasa until vegetables are translucent.
3. Add tomatoes, stock, broth and spices; simmer 10 minutes.
4. Add fish; cook 5 minutes.
5. Add oysters and shrimp; simmer 5 minutes.
6. Serve over steamed white rice.
The only hard part of this recipe is the time it takes to make the dark roux.