Friday, May 24, 2013
Early Morning Lemon Parfaits
For those who don't know, a traditional parfait consists of layers of ice cream, syrup and whipped cream. This one kicks it up a notch by adding couscous.
At a glance
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup lemon low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup reduced-calorie dairy sour cream
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
- 3 cups assorted fruit, such as sliced strawberries, kiwifruit, nectarine, or star fruit; and/or blueberries or raspberries
- Chopped crystallized ginger
- Fresh mint
- In a medium saucepan bring the milk and salt to boiling; stir in the couscous. Simmer, covered, for 1 minute. Remove from heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir with a fork until fluffy. Cool.
- In a small bowl combine the yogurt, sour cream, honey, and lemon peel; stir into the couscous. In another bowl combine desired fruit.
- To serve, divide half of the fruit mixture among 6 parfait glasses. Spoon couscous mixture over fruit; top with remaining fruit. If desired, garnish with chopped crystallized ginger and mint.