Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Cheese & Tomato for Two
Get ready to go Greek. This outstanding tomato and feta sandwich is a great way to round out your afternoon meal... without rounding out your waistline.
At a glance
- 1 round loaf of crusty bread (about 8 inches in diameter)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb. feta cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut four 1/2-inch-thick slices from middle of loaf and generously brush both sides of each slice with olive oil.
- Assemble 2 sandwiches with feta and tomato slices, seasoning filling with oregano, pepper, and salt.
- In a large skillet or griddle, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium heat until hot and cook sandwiches until golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.