Sunday, May 19, 2013
Best Corn Chili Soup
Not to sound corny, but this soup is mmm mmmm good. Prepared with chilies and cheese, it's also baked with croutons and garnisheed with an extra helping of the crunchy bread for good measure.
At a glance
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cup French or Italian bread, cubed
- 5 large ears of fresh corn
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp. minced onions
- 3 1/3 cup Half & Half
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp.Tabasco
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3 tbsp. diced, roasted hot green chilies
- 1/2 lb. Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Combine the seasonings with the butter and toss with the bread cubes until they are well coated. Spread the cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minute, stirring once midway through, until golden brown.
- Cut the kernels from the corncobs. Whiz the kernels with the water in a food processor or blender to make a coarse puree. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onions and saut until soft and translucent. Add the corn puree and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the Half & Half, salt, Tabasco and pepper. Gently heat through, but do not allow simmering.
- To serve, ladle the soup into 5 deep soup bowls. Sprinkle each serving with some of the cheese and chilies; garnish with the croutons.