Thursday, May 23, 2013
Always-Ready French Toast
Ready or not, you can feast on this French toast frenzy on the drop of a dime. It's a sweet treat that can be made ahead of time and then frozen.
At a glance
- 9 eggs
- 3 cups light cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. rum flavored extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 24 (3/4 inch thick) slices French bread
- PRALINE SYRUP:
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Mix in cream, sugar, rum extract if desired, vanilla and nutmeg. Place the bread in a single layer in two well-greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Pour the egg mixture over bread in each pan. Turn bread over to coat both sides. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, for syrup, bring brown sugar, corn syrup and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Add pecans and butter; simmer 2 minutes longer. Serve with the French toast.
Ready in 40 min