Winehouse: Death by Drink
Officials are finally releasing the cause of singer Amy Winehouse's death. Although many speculated she had overdosed on drugs, it was her battle with the bottle that killed her in the end. According to the coroner, Wino drank herself to death in July 23. Reports show her blood alcohol came in at more than four times the legal limit when she died. Coroner Suzanne Greenaway deemed the situation "death by misadventure," which is a creative way of saying she threw back one too many shots. The findings put to rest any false reports that the 27-year-old had gone back to bingeing on hardcore drugs like crack, heroin or meth. Despite the fact she never conquered her alcohol demons, her family issued the following statement, "It is some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy. We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away; it is likely a buildup of alcohol in her system over a number of days. The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol, and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time. She had started drinking again that week after a period of abstinence. It underlines how important our work with the Amy Winehouse Foundation is to us, to help as many young people and children as we can in her name. It means a lot to us and from the overwhelming messages of support we have had since Amy died, we know she meant a great deal to people all over the world. We want to thank everyone for that and for their continuing enthusiasm for the Foundation." You booze, you lose.