Basics of Western Astrology Explained
Earth signs are related to sensation, stability, and practicality. In tandem with the other elements, earth feels that air will dry it, fire will dry it, but water will refresh and nourish it.
Each sign is connected to one of three modalities: cardinal (sometimes referred to as movable), fixed, and mutable.
There are four quadrants following the order of the zodiacal signs, with three signs in each. Each quadrant describes a season, beginning with a cardinal sign, continuing to a fixed sign, and ending with a mutable sign.
Modalities and Related Zodiac Signs
- Mutable signs are related to adaptability, resourcefulness and holism. They are Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces.
- Fixed signs are related to determination, focus and individuality. They are Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius.
- Cardinal signs are related to creativity and initiation. They are Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn.
- Aries (cardinal, fire, personal): defensive, energetic, head down, assertive, impulsive.
- Taurus (fixed, earth, personal): patient, indulgent, resourceful, thorough, devoted.
- Gemini (mutable, air, personal): quick, logical, inquisitive.
- Cancer (cardinal, water, personal): clinging, protective, sensitive.
- Leo (fixed, fire, social): theatrical, generous, proud.
- Virgo (mutable, earth, social): critical, practical, efficient.
- Libra (cardinal, air, social): lazy, co-operative, fair.
- Scorpio (fixed, water, social): anxious, passionate, sensitive.
- Sagittarius (mutable, fire, universal): careless, free, straightforward.
- Capricorn (cardinal, earth, universal): suspicious, prudent, cautious.
- Aquarius (fixed, air, universal): detached, democratic, unconventional.
- Pisces (mutable, water, universal): distracted, imaginative, sensitive.