New Twists on Taco Night
- Cooked, shredded pork, chicken, beef or ground beef
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped onions per pound of meat
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder per pound of meat or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin per pound of meat
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder per pound of meat
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano per pound of meat
- 3/4 cup of water or broth per pound of meat
- 2 teaspoons of flour per pound of meat
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded cheese
- Vegetable Oil
Sautee the chopped onions in vegetable oil in a saucepan until the onions are soft. Add the cooked meat, water or broth, flour and spices and simmer for about 5 minutes until the meat mixture is thick and hot, stirring occasionally.
While the meat and spices are simmering, warm the tortillas in the microwave.
Pour about an inch of vegetable oil into a heavy skillet and heat until the oil sizzles when spattered with water. Pour a couple tablespoons of the meat mixture down the center of each tortilla and roll the tortilla closed. Use toothpicks to keep the tortillas from unraveling.
Fry the taquitos in the hot oil until the taquitos are a golden brown. You may have to adjust the heat so that the taquitos cook to your desired degree of crispness.
Serve hot with guacamole and shredded cheese.