Low-Calorie, Sugar-Free, Delectable Desserts
Variation: Add 1/2 teaspoon of grated ginger or a dash of cayenne for an added zing.
Sugar-Free Strawberry Shortcake
No need to give up that quintessential summertime treat just because you have to cut sugar out from your diet. Here are some ways to make your strawberry shortcake guilt and sugar free.
- Slice fresh berries and sweeten with Splenda Granulated instead of using sweetened frozen berries or sweetening with sugar.
- Instead of high-calorie shortcake or biscuits, bake a sugar-free cake to serve as the base.
- Barring that, use sugar-free graham crackers or vanilla wafers instead of shortcake for your base. Just let the berries sit on them for an extra minute or two to let the juices sink in.
- Top with a tablespoon of homemade fresh whipped cream, either unsweetened, or sweetened with a packet of sugar substitute.
- OR chill two cups of skim or low-fat milk to just above freezing. Whip to a thick, bubbly froth with an electric beater, sweetening with sugar substitute.
Sugar-free Ice Cream Ideas
Do you love ice cream? You can certainly buy low-fat and sugar-free ice cream at the grocery store, but you don't have to be stuck with the few flavors that you can find sugar free. Instead, invest in an inexpensive ice cream maker and play with your own flavors. Not only will you get ice cream made with healthy, fresh ingredients, but you and your family can have a lot of fun creating your very own signature flavors. Start with this basic recipe for sugar free ice cream and then try your own variations to create a special and deliciously guilt-free ice cream.
3 c. nonfat milk
1/4 c. nonfat powdered milk
1 c. Splenda Granulated
8 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 c. fruit
Ice cream maker