Impress Guests with Decadent, Easy Appetizers
Savory Herb-Stuffed Mushrooms
(Adapted from "Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee" from the Food Network)
Cook time: 35 min | Easy | 24 appetizers
- 1 lb. or 24 medium mushrooms
- 6 Tbsp. reduced-fat stick margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-3 oz. package of low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley leaves or 2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup packaged herb-seasoned stuffing croutons
To make ahead of time, prepare as directed below and then cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. First, remove the stems from the mushrooms. Chop up enough stems to make 1 cup. Next, melt 2 tbsp of margarine in a saucepan. Brush the mushroom caps with the melted margarine and place top side down in a shallow baking pan. Brush the underside of the caps.
Heat up the rest of the margarine in the same saucepan you just used. It will heat up fairly quickly, so be sure to add the chopped mushroom stems, onion and garlic before the margarine browns. Next, stir in the cream cheese, using a fork to break up the large lumps if necessary.