11 Cures for Insomnia by Changing Your Sleeping Habits
4. Temporary pain or discomfort
5. Disturbances in the sleeping environment such as noise, light or sleeping in a different bed
6. A change in the normal sleep pattern, caused by jet lag or working in a late shift
This kind of insomnia usually doesn't last long once the root cause(s) is resolved. But be extra careful as insufficient sleep could cloud your judgment, leading to accidents while driving or at work.
Chronic insomnia is more serious as it can last for months or even years. The likely causes are:
1. Existing mental health situations eg. depression, anxiety or stress.
2. Poor sleep habits, such as watching television programs in bed or going to bed at different times.
3. Excessive consumption of caffeine or nicotine laden items like coffee, tea or cigarettes.