Thursday, June 20, 2013
Microwave Popcorn: Not Your Bag
It contains a chemical called diacetyl, which has been attributed to a disease among popcorn factory workers called bronchiolitis obliterans, or "popcorn lung." It has been loosely attributed to consumers who repeatedly inhale the fumes of freshly microwaved popcorn. Another chemical called perfluorooctanoic acid caused cancer in laboratory animals. Prevention magazine even put microwaved popcorn on its list of foods that experts won't eat because of the presence of this chemical. Save yourself the potential health risks - plus fat and calories - of microwaved popcorn by simply air-popping a big batch at home and adding fat-free butter-flavored cooking spray before serving.